The Gernon House. Nicholas Gernon, one of the colonists to settle Russell, built Gernon House in 1872. In 1871, Gernon, a blacksmith, came with The Northwest Colony from Ripon, Wisconsin to establish a new community. Gernon and other colonists lived in the railroad boxcars that brought them until they could build their homes.
Due to the lack of available trees and lumber, the colonists were forced to use local limestone for construction. Many of these homes are still in service, as well as the courthouse, Fossil Station Museum, schools, and other prominent buildings. The walls in many cases measure over 24” thick. Several sidewalks were laid using limestone and are still visible today.
The house has been beautifully restored to its original condition and is a must see for visitors. The Gernon Blacksmith Shop site is adjacent to the house.
The Russell County
Historical Society & Genealogy Society
Russell County Historical Society and Genealogy Society
P. O. Box 245 or 331 Kansas Street Russell, Ks 67665
Phone (785) 483-3637
Copyright © 2013 All Rights Reserved by Russell County Historical Society and Genealogy Society, Russell, KS
Web design and Promotion by MEH Marketing Solutions